Office of Rural Health
Transportation of Veterans in Highly Rural Areas Grants
The Department of Veterans Affairs Grants for Transportation of Veterans in Highly Rural Areas (HRTG) Program has opened up the grant application process. This grant application period is from March 26, 2014 to midnight May 27, 2014.
This programâ€™s purpose is to provide grants to eligible recipients to assist Veterans in highly rural areas* through innovative transportation services to travel to VA medical centers and to other VA and non-VA facilities to assist in providing transportation services in connection with the provision of VA medical care.
Applicants can only apply on Grants.gov. Applications cannot be e-mailed or faxed.
*Please Note: Interested parties must be offering services in one of the listed highly rural counties in order to apply. View this list of highly rural counties considered for this grant opportunity by viewing this grant on Grants.gov, clicking on the "Full Announcement" tab, and view the last PDF titled "States that have highly rural counties."
Question and Answer Conference Calls
The grant program office will be having HRTG question and answer conference calls. The call in number for these calls will be the same for each call:
Participant code 98544#
These calls will take place on the following days and times:
- April 4 at 1:00 PM EST, call title "HRTG9"
- April 9 at 1:00 PM EST, call title "HRTG10"
- May 1 at 1:00 PM EST, call title "HRTG11"
- May 7 at 2:00 PM EST, call title "HRTG12"
- Eligible organizations that can apply are Veteran Service Organizations and State Veteran Service Agencies recognized by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
- Non-eligible organizations such as a local transportation providers would have to partner with the above organizations and provide the services as sub recipient.
- Highly Rural is defined by the population density of less than 7 persons per square mile in county. Twenty-five states have counties with highly rural areas.
- Grantees can receive $50,000 for each highly rural area that they provide transportation services. One grant may be awarded to a grantee per fiscal year for each highly rural area in which the grantee provides transportation services. Transportation services may not be simultaneously provided by more than one grantee in any single highly rural area.
- A grantee will not be required to provide matching funds as a condition of receiving such grant.
- Additional information and how to apply can be found on Grants.gov.
- Please review the 25 page instruction sheet and webinar that is posted on Grants.gov.
- After reviewing the instructions and webinar and you still need additional information please e-mail HRTG@va.gov.
- County Service Officers cannot apply directly, but can partner with the State Department of Veteran Affairs and be a sub recipient.