Office of Rural Health
VHA TRAIN Courses | ORH Programs
VA and Community Provider Courses
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) strives to share its research and medical approaches to Veteran care. A variety of free courses that include continuing medical education credits are available on MyVeHu and VHA TRAIN VA course platforms.
VHA TRAIN Courses
VHA TRAIN delivers a number of rural health specific courses. Once logged in to VHA TRAIN, use the search feature and type "rural" to find additional resources.
ORH training initiatives combine in-person and virtual learning to elevate rural providers’ skills in specialty care areas including geriatric, obstetrics and gynecology, nephrology and psychiatry. These initiatives help offset the specialty care provider shortage in rural communities, offering rural Veterans the care they need, when they need it.
ORH funds Enterprise-Wide Initiatives (EWIs) that provide training to rural health care teams at VA medical sites nationwide. These programs include:
- Geriatric Scholars Program addresses the shortage of specialized geriatric skills and knowledge in rural VA clinical settings by training VA general clinicians in the treatment of older rural Veterans.
- Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center Connect Program trains VA providers to manage medically complex cases through case-based conferences, electronic consultations, virtual meetings and clinical video telehealth.
- Clinical Skills Training in Women Veterans Health Care trains providers in rural locations in skills unique to the treatment of rural women Veterans.
- Office of Rural Health Rural Scholars Fellowship (RSF) connects rural providers with opportunities for professional growth and development in order to spark innovation and drive leadership.
- Office of Rural Health Rural Interprofessional Faculty Development Initiative (RIFDI) provides training for residency proctors, enabling them to better train, mentor, and monitor residents serving rural areas.
- Office of Rural Health Career Development Award (CDA) Program provides mentorship and financial assistance to researchers focused on rural Veteran health care challenges.
To learn more about these training initiatives, visit our EWI page or view our Rural Healthcare Workforce fact sheet.