VA and Community Provider Courses
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) strives to share its research and medical approaches to Veteran care. A variety of free courses that include continuing medical education credits are available on MyVeHu and VHA TRAIN VA course platforms.
VHA TRAIN delivers a number of rural health specific courses. Once logged in to VHA TRAIN, just use the search feature and type "rural" to find additional resources.
ORH training initiatives combine in-person and virtual learning to elevate rural providers’ skills in specialty care areas including geriatric, obstetrics and gynecology, nephrology and psychiatry. These initiatives help offset the specialty care provider shortage in rural communities, offering rural Veterans the care they need, when they need it.
ORH funds Enterprise-Wide Initiatives (EWI) that provide training to rural health care teams at VA medical sites nationwide. These programs include:
- Rural Health Training Initiative provides rural clinical training sites for health professions students and clinical residents. Trainees include social workers, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, psychiatrists, optometry students and dental and family medicine residents..
- Geriatric Scholars Program addresses the shortage of specialized geriatric skills and knowledge in rural VA clinical settings by training VA general clinicians in the treatment of older rural Veterans.
- Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center Connect Program trains VA providers to manage medically complex cases through case-based conferences, electronic consultations, virtual meetings and clinical video telehealth.
- Clinical Skills Training in Women Veterans Health Care trains providers in rural locations in skills unique to the treatment of rural women Veterans.
- Simulation Learning, Education, and Research Network (SimLEARN) Rural Coordinators develops a simulation based training infrastructure to improve rural clinicians’ technical skills without leaving their home clinic.
- VA-ECHO Expansion in Specialty Care uses telehealth to train providers in a wide variety of specialties, including treatment for chronic disease, hepatitis C and pain management.